History of Creevy National School
Creevy National School was established in 1842. The old school catered for the boys and girls of the area for over 100 years. The old school, now demolished, is quite near to the new school. The school is located about 5km from Ballyshannon on the Rossnowlagh Road. The school is in the parish of Kilbarron, so called after Barron, who lived in the area. The ruins of the ancient church are situated between the school and Rossnowlagh.
The ruins of Kilbarron Church.
The new school was opened on 1st June 1942 as a two-teacher school. The school is also called Scoil Náisiúnta Br. Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, after one of the four masters who often visited Kilbarron Castle in the area.
The school had to increase its capacity over the years as a number of smaller schools amalgamated to a more central Creevy National School. The former schools of the area were:
1820 Corker School
1842-1942 Old Creevy School
Master Keegan’s class 1924
Cissie Gallagher’s Class 1924
1846-1946 Tullymore School
1846-1946 Tullymore School
1846-1965 Culmore School
1848-1915 Cashelard Mountain
1898-1970’s Carricknahorna School
Carricknahorna No. 2 National School 1920′s –
First row left to right
John Downey, James Walsh, Jim McGarrigle, Tom Rooney, Eunan McGarrigle.
Eddie Mullin, Gerard Clarke, Molly McCauley, Maggie McCauley, Susan Kavanagh, Mary McGarrigle, Lizzie Mullin, Mary Mullin, ? Rooney, Michael Walsh, Willie McCauley.
James McCauley, Pat Kavanagh, John Clarke, Ben McGarrigle, Hugh McGarrigle, Tom McCadden, Paddy Downey.
Teresa Kavanagh, ? Rooney, ? Downey, Mary Rose Clarke, ~ Bannigan, ? Rooney, Maggie Walshe, ? Rooney. Teachers, Miss McGowan and Miss McNulty (Mrs O’Reilly, Coolmore).
1863-1970’s Behey School
1942-present S.N. Br. Mícheál Ó Cléirigh
The current school now caters for over 200 pupils and has been developed with the most recent extension and refurbishment being completed in 2012. The following is a timeline of the development of the current school:
1942 School established from amalgamation of other schools
1970 2 more classrooms and staffroom built
1979 1 more classroom built
1985 4 more classrooms built
2010 Extension and refurbishment of classrooms and new recreational hall
The school celebrated 150 years of Creevy National School in 1992 with a photographic display, an open day for all past and present pupils and mass celebrated by the then chairperson Canon Dermot Britton.
The blessing by Most Rev. Philip Boyce OCD, Bishop of Raphoe, and official opening by Mr Dinny McGinley T.D. Minister of State, of the new extension and refurbishment of the school took place on Tuesday 15th May 2012.
1842 Mr James Doherty
1881 Mr Francis Doherty
1920 Master Keegan
1950 Mr Jim O’Donnell, Ballyshannon
1989 Mr Tony Ryan, Bundoran
2011 Mr Daragh McDaid, Glenswilly
2014 Ms Aoibheann Kelly, Ballintrillick